Sports Quiz Finals - Quotes Round
1. Who says, 'There is a lot of difference between racing today than in my time. If I were driving today I would have made more money and saved my ears.'
2. Jesse Owens said this for whom: 'It took a lot of courage for him to befriend me in front of Hitler. You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn't be a plating on the 24 karat friendship I felt for him at that moment.'
3. 'I don't like professional boxing. There is a tremendous difference between Olympic style and professional boxing. In the professional ranks the athlete is not protected at all, they don't take care of him at all and of course, the main interest is earning money. It's a very dirty sport. In Olympic style boxing, the amateur sport is very clean and it's truly something that is good for the athlete.' Who said this?
4. 'Bradman was a team in himself. I think the Don was too good: he spoiled the game. He got too many runs. The pot calling the kettle black? No, I was human; he got 100s every time he went in... He was mechanical, he was the greatest run-getting machine of all time.' Who said this?
5. When and why did former England captain Tony Greig call a team 'sissies' and say, 'I personally would have sent them glass bangles in line with the Indian tradition?'
6. 'There are two sides out there. One is playing cricket, the other is not. The game is too good to be spoiled. It is time some people got out of it.' What was the occasion for this statement?