Sports Quiz Finals - Personality Round III
1. This boxer is known for his miserly habits and once after a bout was found hiding his money in the toilet. At one time, after defeating title contenders he was waiting to fight defendign champion Jessey Joe Walcott. During this time he got some fights organized in small towns of Maine, but none of his sparring partners was willing to fight against him as they were afraid of him. He had been paid the money which he didn't want to return, so he got his brother, who was in high school, and weighed 30 lb less to be his competitor. His brother boxed under different names. On their first fight after an exchange of punches his brother instead of backing came forward and hit him full on the jaw knocking his gumshield out. Realising his life was in danger, the brother backed and screamed, 'It's me. I'm your brother, don't hit me.' He heard and they sparred for the rest of the match. They were reported to the commission by some members of the public. He and promoters were suspended for some period of time, so that he never got to fight against Walcott. Who is this boxer?
3. Christened "Johnny wont hit today" by the Australian media and crowds for his tendency to carry defence to the extreme, led his side to the Ashes in 1911-12. . A fine all-rounder, he could bowl his fast-medium swingers for long periods, and was extremely hard to dislodge when batting. An all-round sportsman, he won an Olympic championship as a boxer, and was also a football international. He died tragically at sea, going back below to attempt to rescue his father as the ship went down. Who?
4. She was 18 yr old when she lead her country's delegation in the Seoul Olympics, but lost to Graf in the finals. teamed up with Graf to win her first doubles grand slam title in 1988 Wimbledon and won her only grand slam by beating Graf US open 1990. Who?
5. He is the only man to have been on the cover of Wisden's monthly magazine for two consecutive issues. Who?
6. At the 1984 USA-Dallas GP, after his gear box packed in he famously got out of the car and started to push it toward the line for fifth place. He was already exhausted by the heat and effort that he was exerting caused him to faint. He won the formula 1 championship in 1992, but left his team due to perceived mistreatment and joined Indy Car Racing, and won it in his debut year, 1993, and came back to F1 in 1994 after the death of Ayrton Senna. Who?