Sports Quiz Finals - Personality Round II
1. He is the only goalkeeper to have won the European Player of the Year, which he won in 1973. An award has been recently instituted in his name for the Best Goalkeeper in a World Cup Tournament. He is also known as the 'Black Panther'. Who?
2. As a child he spent about six months/yr in hospital since he suffered from a mild form of cystic fibrosis. He then dreamed of being a doctor. When he was 10, a doctor advised him to play an outdoor sport, and because his parents loved tennis, he chose that. 'I'd play for one minute and sit for five. I also started running. I'd run for 10 yards and sit down for 10 minutes.' He was made the UN messenger of peace. Who?
3. In the 1948 London Olympics he won the gold for 10,000m and the silver for 5,000m. At Helsinki in 1952, He took the 5,000m, 10,000m and marathon golds and broke Olympic records in all three. Roger Bannister said for him, 'the greatest athlete of the post-war world.' His wife Dana (née Ingrova) was a leading javelin thrower. On July 24 1952, in Helsinki, she won the Olympic title in her event an hour after he had triumphed in the 5000m. A unique coincidence in athletics history. But then, they were "astrological twins", who shared a birthday of September 19, 1922. Who is this athlete?
only player to have won a junior grand slam (Won all the four Grand Slams in one
year, in 1983), won the sportmanship award for 5 years, and now it'll be
named after him. Who?
5. The first time this race event was, held in February 1957 on the famous Malecon Avenue, which runs along the waterfront in Havana, was won by this man. The following year he was kidnapped by Fidel Castro's guerrillas while standing in the lobby of Hotel Lincoln and forced to miss the race. Name the F1 driver.
6. He was the captain of the Indian team in the Jubilee Test against England in 1981, when he showed great sportsmanship and recalled Bob Taylor (wicketkeeper) by coaxing Umpire Hanumanta Rao into reversing his decision of caught behind, as he felt the catch was not clean. Bob went on to score a 171-run partnership with Botham, and the captain received a lot of hate. He is also the only cricketer to score a duck and a century on test debut. Who?