Science Quiz Finals - Answers to Scientific Sense Round
1. Magnetic levitation - the ceramic plate is superconducting with a circular current in it. As the metal disc comes down due to gravity, an induced current is setup in the disc which opposes the motion.
2. By looking at the Fraunhoffer's lines in the spectrum - they will be shifted towards the blue end..
3. Coriolis force - due to earth's rotation - assuming that this experiment will be performed more often in northern hemisphere.
4. To adjust the amount of air entering the shaft of the burner along with the fuel gas.
5. The stick will not fall, even when you bring your fingers adjacent. Reason is simple - the finger closer to the centre of gravity supports a greater share of the weight of the stick/rod, and so there is greater friction between the stick and this finger. Thus, it is always the finger farther from the centre which moves, keeping the stick balanced always, till the fingers meet at the centre.
Do not close this window. You can use this window to open answers side by side to the questions using the links on the left.