Literature Quiz Finals - Writers Round II
1. Overcome with grief at the death of his wife from an overdose of laudanum, he placed the only copy of his poems in her coffin when she was buried. Seven years later, however, he claimed her spirit came to him in the form of a chaffinch and told him to reclaim them, which he duly did after having her dug up. Who?
2. She once disappeared mysteriously after she found out that her husband was having an affair. Ten days later she was discovered in a health spa in Yorkshire, with rumours flying around that she had attempted suicide in the interim. She later claimed that she had had an attack of amnesia brought on by the stress of her husband's infidelity and also the recent death of her mother. Who?
3. He was employed by the Secretary of State of Queen Elizabeth I to uncover Catholic plots against her. Who?
4. With the help of 13 men, he attempted to overthrow the Government of Franscisco Marcias Nguema. He invested $200k in this scheme in 1972, which ultimately failed because of the non-delivery of required ammunition by a Spanish co- conspirator. Name him.
5. Oscar Wilde wrote a book under the pseudonym '3.3'. What is the significance of this number?